Welcome to Newman!
Let us be the first to invite you and your family to our community. Newman is the place where you can grow in your Catholic faith while a student at Rochester.
Committed to engaging faith and reason through a relationship with Christ and the Church, students enjoy a hospitable and engaging environment to grow spiritually while enjoying social events, deep and lasting friendships, retreats, dinners, and, of course, Mass (to name a few!).
We hope to be able to meet you at one of our events and personally welcome you to Newman! Our pastoral staff is always ready to assist you at any time. Never hesitate to contact us.
Welcome to the NEWMAN EXPERIENCE!
Peace and all good,
Welcome to the Catholic Newman Community and to the University of Rochester! Your next four years at Rochester are sure to be enriching both academically and socially, and we pray, spiritually as well. Our current students would like to welcome you, too, with a few words of wisdom about their time here:
- "The Newman table was one of the first that I stopped by at orientation. I immediately felt a sense of community in meeting Father Cool, Sister Leandra, and other students. This feeling continued on throughout the year as Newman provided me with a group of familiar faces and, soon after, some new friends. I am very grateful to the Newman community for providing a means for me to share my faith with others. Being part of the Newman community helped get me through the ups and downs of my first year and allowed me to feel at home at the U of R from the start." ~ Cameron DeMott '20
- "Ever since I attended my first event during orientation, I have been impressed with the warm welcome and sense of community Newman offers. For three years, I have been a part of the choir here, and it is so refreshing to come on Sunday, sing with others who share your faith, and celebrate the Mass with people who genuinely care about you. Coming to Mass and making music together helps prepare me for the week ahead with a renewed sense of belonging and how to live life as a Catholic." – Amanda Hornick '19
Be sure to check out this website for more information about Newman's Staff, programs, events, and the worship schedule. Also, be sure to check out our various social media links at the bottom of the home page.
Finally, please feel free to contact us anytime with any questions and/or concerns. We are here to help you succeed at this prestigious university by offering you interesting and exciting ways to explore your faith! Our contact information is below.
God Bless and we hope to see you soon!
Welcome to one of the most prestigious universities in America. We are certain you are very proud of your child, and the accomplishment of being admitted to and attending the University of Rochester.
Let us also welcome you to the Catholic Newman Community at Rochester, one of the best Catholic ministry sites on any college campus, if we may be so bold! A Catholic parish on the River Campus, Newman is a full-time Catholic ministry for spiritual, intellectual, social, and service activities for Rochester students.
- Catholics are the largest single denomination at Rochester (approx. 30%)
- Over 200 students attend Sunday Mass regularly
- Newman has won 3 national awards for programing
- There are over 70 student leaders involved in helping to plan and facilitate our nearly 100 programs
- Over 1000 hours of community service performed every year throughout Rochester and Frenchville, PA
Located within the University’s Interfaith Chapel, we receive no University funds for staffing and less than 10% of our budget for programs. Yet, our staff remains 100% committed to providing pastoral care for any Rochester student in need, and our ministry is open to every student on campus.
Additionally, please know we are here to assist you or your children. Please never hesitate in contacting us for any need. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org and our main telephone line is 585-275-8515. Consider Newman staff an extension of your family, and the Newman Community a “Home Away From Home!” With decades of combined experience under our belts, we can be a valuable resource.
Please feel free to browse this website, where you will find information about our community, orientation schedule, weekly programming, and other upcoming events. I really look forward to meeting you during orientation week at the Expo, and throughout the next four years!